New Zealand is fast gaining popularity as a chosen destination to pursue higher studies by international students. Not only the programs offered provide quality but, research facilities are also very good. New Zealand education institutions believe in the holistic development of students so, a student enjoys a host of extra curricular activities during the study period.
BENEFITS OF STUDYING IN NEW ZEALAND
- High standard of education and research – Students who opt to pursue higher education in New Zealand are exposed to a great academic framework of study courses, excellent faculty and research facilities. There are a number of courses to choose from and one can pursue studies in arts, business, science, technology, etc
- Admission process is simple – Though the education system of New Zealand is world renowned, the universities and education institutions have a fairly simple process of admission. If you are not academically very bright but still want to pursue education in a reputed institute, you may apply and your application is considered for admission.
- Low cost of living and tuition fee – New Zealand is fairly cheap when it comes to tuition fee of renowned universities or education institutions as compared to some other developed countries but, the quality is not compromised. Also, the rent, groceries, travel costs are comparatively low in New Zealand.
- The government of New Zealand allows you to extend study visa by one year after the completion of your course so that you can search and apply for jobs there. During this period, you can apply for converting the study visa to work visa.
- Access to scholarships – If students who are academically bright but unable to support his / her education due to some constraints, scholarships are available for those students if they fulfil the required criteria and clear the scholarship test. In many cases the scholarship covers the complete tuition fee and living expenses and international students can also apply for the same.
- Work and earn while you study – International students are allowed to work 20 hours per week (part time) and 40 hours (full time) during vacations. This can help you cover your expenses.
REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENT VISA APPLICATION –
- Letter of offer from an education institution – A student whose application to join a course in New Zealand is accepted by a university / education institution and has submitted the required fee during admission process can apply for a study visa.
- Proof of funds – The applicant must support the visa application with proof of sufficient funds for travel, payment of tuition fee, living expenses and to support their spouse/dependent (if any).
- English Language Proficiency – The applicant must submit the results of English Language Proficiency Test with the required criteria being met.
- Applicant needs to submit the passport along with the passport size photographs not older than six months. The passport should have a validity of minimum six months.
- If the student is under 18 years of age, a guarantee for accommodation has to be given.
- Proof of all past degrees completed by the applicant.
- The applicant also needs to show sufficient funds to travel out of New Zealand after the course completion or needs to have a confirmed air ticket.
- Medical Examination certificate, chest X ray and police verification documents are also required to be submitted.
If you are planning to pursue a short term corse which is less than 3 months or equal in duration, you may apply for visitor visa as student visa is not required in such cases.
VISA PROCESSING FEE –
A student visa will cost 295 NZD + INR. 690 (approx). The INZ, New Delhi, does not accept cash or credit cards. Payment has to be made through a bank cheque or a draft.
VISA PROCESSING TIME –
The New Zealand High Commission takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks to process study visa application. Students are advised to apply 3 months prior to the start date of their course.