Canada – in the past few years has become one of the preferred countries for international students to pursue higher education. The country has a globally recognised education system, Canadian degree is valued and recognised all across the globe, the tuition and living expenses are low as compared to some of the famous universities and colleges in USA and UK, the research facilities are great and there is a variety of academic courses to choose from. Canada also ranks high as a choice for Indian students for higher education.
The student visa or study permit is granted to those students who want to pursue a course or academic degree or diploma in a Canadian educational institution.
BENEFITS OF A CANADIAN DEGREE / DIPLOMA –
- Access to global alumni network – A Canadian student is by default a part of a group that he / she can access whenever one wants to get information, updates, current trends in job market, etc in the future.
- Overall low cost – Not only the tuition fees for the academic programmes offered in Canada is less as compared to some western countries, but the cost of living, travel, food, etc is also low and the quality of faculty and education is excellent.
- Greater job opportunities –Currently, Canada is in need of qualified professionals in all fields and preference is given to those who have a Canadian degree.
- Way to Canadian PR – An individual who has studied in Canada can get extra marks in the Express Entry application system and the chances of getting an ITA for filing PR application are higher.
- Access to scholarships – If a student who is academically bright but is unable to support his / her education due to some constraints, there are scholarships available for such students if they fulfil the required criteria and clear the scholarship test.
REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDY PERMIT APPLICATION –
- Applicant will need a valid passport to apply. The passport should have validity that extends beyond the date and duration of the course completion.
- Applicant must have an acceptance letter to his / her application to attend a degree or diploma course from a recognised educational institution of Canada.
- Applicant must support the study permit application with proof of funds that will be required for completing the education and the cost of living during your stay in Canada.
- Applicant must provide proof of funds that will be required to travel out of Canada after the completion of the course. A student will have to leave Canada 90 days post completion of the course.
- Applicant must provide the proof of English language proficiency as demanded by the Canadian government.
- Whether applying online or offline, an applicant must submit passport size photographs that are not more than six months old. For online application, one must scan and submit the photograph. You are required to submit the photograph as per the measurement prescribed by the designated authority.
- Students applying for study permit from India must undergo IMMIGRATION MEDICAL EXAMINATION (IME). CIC only accepts examination results from a list of empanelled doctors by them. Applicant must do this a week prior to filing the application.
- While applying for study permit, a statement of purpose, which is in the form of a short essay, is to be submitted. It is mentioned as optional in the document checklist but, is highly recommended.
- If you are making a payment online, you will need a credit card for making the transaction.
- As mention on the CIC website, a study permit will cost CAD 150.
- If you are applying online, you will require a digital scanner to upload all the required documents mentioned in the checklist.
During the personal interview, additional documents may be requested by the interviewer to prove evidence of academic or financial status. These may include:
- Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
- Scores from tests, such as the IELTS, TOEFL,SAT, GRE, or GMAT
- Your intent to depart from Canada upon completion of the course of study
- Proof of funds to support all educational, living and travel costs
The processing time for study permit may vary as the applications are screened on case to cae basis. Please contact our process experts for more details we may also be able to help you with the selection of an educational institution and a suitable course in Canada for you.