It does not matter which part of the world you live in, you will always want your family to be with you. Australia is a favourite among immigrants when it comes to choosing studies, work or PR. If you are in Australia for any of these purposes, you will want your family to stay with you.

Australian government does value this and allows the family of immigrants to apply for a dependent visa to get a chance to come and live in Australia.


Dependent Child visa allows the child of the sponsor to:

  • Travel to and stay in Australia indefinitely.
  • Study and work in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, which is Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if eligibility criteria is met)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date of the grant of visa – after that time they will need another visa to enter Australia.


The sponsored / dependent child must be:

  • The biological child or adopted child of the sponsoring parent


  • A step child who has not turned 18years, of a step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child’s parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child financially.
  • An adopted child must have been adopted before the parent(s) became an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • The spouse or de facto partner of the dependent child’s parent can also sponsor the child.
  • The child must be under 25 years of age, but if 18 years of age or over, he/she must be a full-time student and dependent on their sponsoring parent. The only exception to the age limit and full-time student requirement is where the child has a disability that stops them from working, in which case there is no age limit.
  • ​ The dependent child must meet certain set health requirements and undergo a complete medical examination, the results of which are usually valid for 12 months.
  • A child older than 16 years of age must meet certain character requirements and must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country they have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after they turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until asked for.
  • The dependent child must be outside Australia when the application is lodged and when the application is decided.


A Child visa (subclass 101) lets an eligible parent to sponsor their child to live in Australia indefinitely. The parent can apply on behalf of a child who is younger than 18 years of age.

An eligible parent must be:

  • An Australian citizen
  • The holder of an Australian permanent resident visa
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • The sponsoring parent must be able to support the child financially and bear all the living costs of the child and must assure the same to the Australian government.


The fee for visa subclass 101 is AUD 2470.


Applications if filed properly are processed anywhere between 11 to 19 months. The time varies from case to case.


The Partner visas (subclasses 820 and 801) allow the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is granted first which lets you stay in Australia while the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) is being processed.


The applicant must be married or in a de facto relationship with:

  • An Australian citizen
  • An Australian permanent resident
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Your marriage must be valid under Australian law. This means you must have parental permission if you are 16 or 17 years of age. The legal marriage age is 18 years in Australia and one should strictly adhere to the same.
  • You must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months.
  • One might not be able to apply for this visa if they have had a visa cancelled or refused during their stay in Australia.
  • Applicant must be in Australia when they lodge the application and when a decision is made on the temporary Partner visa (subclass 820).
  • Applicant can be in or outside Australia when a decision is made on the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).
  • Applicant must meet the character and health requirements listed by the Department of /Home Affairs.
  • If, at the time you apply, you have been in a relationship or married for 5 years or more or, in a relationship or married for 2 years and have children, with your partner, your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) visa may be granted immediately after the temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) visa.


  • On the temporary 820 visa, you can stay until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa application (subclass 801).
  • On the permanent 801 visa, you can stay permanently in Australia.


The visa processing fee is AUD 7160.


Applications for subclass 820 are processed between 21 to 26 months.

Applications for subclass 801 are processed between 18 to 24 months.

The time may vary from case to case.

Our Australia Process Expert can assist you with the complete process, document checklist and step by step process for better understanding. Please get in touch for further consultation.


It is rightly said in today’s times that the world has become a global village. The advanced facilities of travel by air, water and road have made reaching from one part of the world to the other a very easy and convenient task. Be it for going on a holiday, further studies, meeting a dear one or for work, people travel frequently from one corner of the globe to the other.

This luxury of travel is only possible if one has some necessary documents with them to cross border between the countries. One needs a valid passport and the right kind of visa in most situations to make this possible.